A rumor rated as 'speculation' is one that has no supporting information
A rumor rated as 'strong' is one where we received information from more than one source.
A rumor rated as 'fact' is one that has proven to be true
A rumor rated as 'false' is one that has proven to be false based on new information
These rumors are just that, RUMORS, and are not to be taken as 'fact'
unless so noted. Please visit our Hot News page for news. If you have a rumor, or can supply
more information about one listed here,
e-mail us with as
much supporting information as possible and we may post it. User Agreement and Disclaimer.
Newer rumors supersede older ones of the same topic. Go to our
discuss any rumor.
Motorsport director Jens Marquardt says BMW will “analyze a changed situation” in the DTM following the announcement that R-Motorsport will leave the series after a single season.
The end of the Aston Martin program comes as no surprise after a tough debut campaign that ended with a split with engine partner HWA.
Whilst the new Class 1 regulations will come into force in Super GT in 2020, none of the Japanese brands that took part in the 2019 season finale at Hockenheim will join the DTM grid during the year ahead, leaving the series as a straight fight between Audi and BMW and with Mercedes quitting DTM to focus on Formula E, how much longer will it be before Audi and BMW quit? Audi and BMW both compete in Formula E, the future of automobile propulsion.
IMSA and ACO set to announce joint top-level class
The DPi cars will convert to be on same playing field as the ACO and FIA Hypercars
IMSA and the ACO are set to confirm joint plans for their top-class - prototype racing, with an announcement scheduled at Daytona International Speedway for Friday morning.
The ACO issued a media advisory that will see an announcement at 11:45 a.m. ET on Friday between ACO President Pierre Fillon and IMSA Chairman Jim France.
Rumor has it that DPi’s next-generation platform will be eligible alongside the FIA and ACO’s Le Mans Hypercar formula beginning in 2022 when the same set of top-class prototypes will be eligible to compete in the Rolex 24 at Daytona, Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring, 24 Hours of Le Mans and Petit LeMans for the first time in decades.
Chevrolet's upcoming 2022 Corvette Z06 has been spied in a video, showing its exhaust and engine sounds. It looks like someone caught the folks at Chevrolet testing a possible Z06 variant of the latest Corvette. It’s hard to say if the model testing will get the Z06 badging, but it sounds like it’s getting a derivative of the 5.5-liter flat-plane-crank V8.
Comparing the engine note to the cross-plane-crank-equipped LT2-powered 'Vette, there is a noticeable difference in exhaust note, furthering the assumption there is a flat-plane crank stuffed in the V8.
Alonso eyes IndyCar full-time for 2021 (8th Update)
Alonso now leaves the door open for a full IndyCar season in 2021. Alonso's global popularity would be a boon to IndyCar, but.....
UPDATE Well it appears time has changed Alonso's mind. And perhaps new series owner Roger Penske who can do great things for IndyCar. Plus the new windscreen and halo that IndyCar has implemented to increase driver safety has now made him consider IndyCar as a viable option for 2021.
Whereas before he said he would never do a full IndyCar season (see below), his tune has changed.
"In the summer I will have to make a decision, that's for sure," he told Spanish radio broadcaster Copa's El Partidazo de Cope program this week.
"I will evaluate F1, I could also return to the WEC since the hypercars will arrive. Or I could do an entire championship in IndyCar," he added.
(GMM) There is more than meets the eye to Williams' new test driver signing.
At the post-grand prix test in Abu Dhabi last year, the largely unknown 25-year-old Roy Nissany was suddenly at the wheel of Williams' 2019 car.
He was quickly ridiculed, not only because he was several seconds off the pace of Williams' regular drivers, but because his then 42-year-old father Chanoch was even slower when he did a Friday practice for Minardi back in 2005.
Sauber boss Frederic Vasseur could soon be looking for a new engine partner
A Ferrari insider has revealed that Alfa Romeo may leave F1.
Leo Turrini, a long-time F1 journalist with key sources at Ferrari, wrote on his Quotidiano blog about speculation that F1's Swiss team, recently known as Sauber, could soon lose its key Alfa Romeo backing.
"Alfa Romeo being in F1 was the great idea of the deceased Sergio Marchionne, but unfortunately, sales of the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio have not been exciting," he said.
Penske eyes possible lights at IMS for NASCAR, F1 (Update) UPDATE From a man who hears things in Indy.
I’m being told that lights are 100% going up @IMS. Also, this is the only year that the Brickyard 400 will run on 4th of July weekend. The Brickyard beyond 2020 is being evaluated. An endurance race is well in the works as well.
McLaughlin to take what was to be Rossi's seat at Team Penske?
Rossi sad after getting beaten by Team Penske in last year's Indy 500
Alexander Rossi had the chance to drive a 4th car for the greatest team in the history of IndyCar starting in 2020 - a team with the most wins, most championships and most importantly, the most Indy 500 wins (18). He turned down their offer and now will have to get used to getting beat by them.
As a result, Team Penske will likely add a 4th car for Supercars star Scott Mclaughlin, part-time to start, then who knows from there.
Team Penske president Tim Cindric has confirmed to Motorsport.com that Supercars champion Scott McLaughlin’s test at Sebring yesterday was more than just a novelty one-off and that the team is investigating the possibilities of the 26-year-old making his IndyCar race debut this season.
Verizon terminated their sponsorship of IndyCar after the 2018 season and now want to return to NASCAR
NASCAR is in ‘advanced discussions’ over a new sponsorship deal with telecommunications giant Verizon, according to Sports Business Journal (SBJ).
The industry outlet said that NASCAR held talks with Verizon about the company becoming a premier partner in its new tiered sponsorship model. However, a deal ultimately failed to materialize as Verizon was not named as one of the series’ four top-tier partners - Busch Beer, Coca-Cola, Geico and Xfinity.
However, NASCAR and Verizon have reportedly continued negotiations about a limited sponsorship that could include the series’ tracks getting 5G technology upgrades to improve their wireless capabilities.
SBJ’s report added that it was unclear how close discussions between the pair were to being finalized.
Gene Haas not pulling plug until he can unload his financial albatross
UPDATE Gunther Steiner admits that the decision whether to continue is out of his hands and that it is team owner, Gene Haas who will decide if it is worth remaining in F1 or not.
"It's difficult to know what to say to convince him," says Steiner, according to Autosport. "He needs to convince himself. That's how I see it.
"He understands that best," he continued. "I don't think I can do a lot to convince him, he needs to convince himself that this is what he wants to do, that this is what he wants to use his marketing money to invest in.
Kyle Busch eyes Indy 500 go, possibly with Arrows McLaren
UPDATE Under his new contract with Joe Gibbs Racing, NASCAR Superstar Kyle Busch has officially been approved to compete in the 200-lap “Greatest Spectacle in Racing” around the four-turn, 2.5-mile (4.023-kilometer) Indianapolis Motor Speedway oval in Speedway, Indiana, and Toyota is reportedly okay with Busch running a Chevrolet-powered car in this race but not arch rival from Japan Honda.
Busch had the sponsorship all lined up in 2017 but Joe Gibbs said no at the time. All that is changed now with the new contract.
(GMM) According to a media report, Red Bull will launch its 2020 car on February 12 - one day after Ferrari.
When Ferrari announced in December that it would reveal its own new car on February 11 - a full eight days before winter testing in Barcelona - boss Mattia Binotto predicted it would be one of the earliest launches of 2020.
"We will launch the car very early. I think we will be the earliest," Binotto said.
Copyright 1999-2019 | AutoRacing1 is an independent internet online publication and is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed by IndyCar, NASCAR, FIA, or any series sponsor.
This material may not be published, broadcast, or redistributed without permission.