Alexander Rossi joins Racing Engineering for the 2015 GP2 season
|Alexander Rossi decided against buying a ride in IndyCar and instead will do a full year of GP2 with an eye on the title|
Racing Engineering are pleased to announce that Alexander Rossi will drive alongside Jordan King for the 2015 GP2 Series. The 23 year old Californian will drive the number 8 car with the Spanish team for his first full season in GP2.
Alexander began racing in karts in 2002 and just four years later, after winning National and International championships, he became the youngest ever open wheel racing Champion in American racing history. In 2008 the young American won the Formula BMW World Champion holding the most series poles (10) and victories (14). His success saw him earn a test drive with the Sauber F1 Team and he made history again by becoming the youngest driver, at just 18 years old, to hold a Formula One Super License.
Alexander quickly moved up to the more powerful single seaters and was soon winning again taking victories in GP3 and World Series by Renault before taking his maiden GP2 Series victory at the final race of the 2013 season at the Yas Marina circuit. The past four years has seen Alexander involved within Formula 1 and in the role of Official Reserve Driver within the Caterham and Marussia Formula 1 Teams, driving the series challengers, logging thousands of kilometers and working with the teams to develop the car.
Alexander will join the team in Abu Dhabi for the first of the pre-season tests, and both he and Racing Engineering are looking forward to a great season ahead.
Alfonso de Orleans-Borbon: "I am delighted to have Alex Rossi joining us this season. The American has the talent and team work necessary for leading the Drivers Championship this season. We have known Alex for many years and our paths have always crossed until now. Now that we are working together, both the driver and the team will do everything in its power to achieve the goal we have set out. With teammate Jordan King, we have a formidable line up for the 2015 season. Now let's get to work and make it all happen."
Alexander Rossi: "After several years of discussions, at last Racing Engineering and I have found a way to work together! Racing Engineering is a multiple Championship winning GP2 team, and their passion and commitment to excellence reflects throughout the organization, where winning and performance is the sole focus.
"After my 2014 season as the Official Reserve Driver at the Caterham and Marussia F1 Teams, it is public knowledge that I have been carefully looking over several options for 2015, both in Europe and the States. I've spent the majority of my career racing in Europe, building my racing foundation and have strong relationships there. My ultimate goal has never wavered, and still remains F1.
"The GP2 Championship with Racing Engineering is the perfect alignment for these career objectives. The team and I have a strong mutual belief in each other and believe we have the assets and the combination to win the Championship this year. We are prepared and I look forward to the Abu Dhabi test, commencing March 9th."
Rossi 2015 Partners Include:
Alaska Coffee Roasting, Kiton, CS&A, Arai, Axcel Fast Graphics, FIA Institute Young Driver's Excellence Program
Alexander Rossi in 40 Seconds
From 185 Formula car starts, 22 year old Alexander has: 39 wins, 68 podiums, 35 poles and current win percentage of 21.1%.
• 2015 Racing Engineering GP2 Championship Race Driver
• 2014 Marussia F1 Team Official Reserve Driver
• 2014 Caterham F1 Official Reserve Driver
• 2014 Caterham Racing GP2 Championship Race Driver - partial season
• 2013 Caterham Racing GP2 Championship Race Driver - 8th Overall & Rookie of the Year
• 2013 Caterham F1 Team Official Reserve Driver
• 2012 Caterham F1 Team Official Test Driver
• 2011 World Series by Renault - 3rd Overall and Rookie Champion
• 2011 AirAsia Team Lotus Driver Development Program
• 2011 FIA Institute Young Driver Excellence Academy
• 2010 ART Grand Prix GP3 - 4th Overall Championship
• 2009 BMW Sauber F1 Testing - F1 Superlicense Qualifications
• 2009 GP2 Asia / Meritus Racing and Ocean Racing - 9th Overall, 3 Top 5 Finishes
• 2009 International Formula Master Championship / ISR Racing - 4th Overall and Rookie Champion
• 2008 Formula BMW World Champion, 1st Place
• 2008 Formula BMW Americas 1st Champion, 10 wins
• 2007 Formula BMW Americas 3rd Overall, 3 wins
• 2006 Skip Barber National Series, 3rd Overall, 4 wins
• 2006 Skip Barber Western Regional Series, 1st Champion
About Alexander Rossi:
Hometown: Nevada City, California, U.S.A
Resides: Kingston, England
Official website - www.alexanderrossi.com
Current Series: FIA GP2 Series World Championship - www.gp2series.com